2. Visas and paperwork
3. Prepare for Britain
4. Student accommodation
5. Bank accounts
6. Cheap international calls
- If you already have a phone then you will need a new SIM card. Pay As You Go (PAYG) means that you top up the phone when your credit runs out and this is good for keeping an eye on your spending. Monthly contracts are usually better value as you will get free minutes and texts but you will have to pay out every month, coming with added long-term responsibility. If you’re likely to make international calls, see below.
- If you would like a new phone, check out our comparison tool to get a great deal that will have minutes, text and data bundled together for a low monthly price. You can even keep the phone when then contract finishes.
- Recently there have been a host of low-cost international call providers, such as Lebara, LycaMobile and RebTel. However in our experience newcomer RebTel offer the best value, with some calls under 1p a minute and your first call is free.
- Alternatively, use Skype on your computer to call another Skype computer back home for free – this includes video chat!