Tuesday 9 March 2021

Work Rights during Study abroad


Education abroad is becoming a preferred mode of study for students globally. Students across the globe travel to countries like the UK, Canada, the USA, and Australia in search of a rewarding study experience to acquire a firm foundation for their careers. The best countries to study abroad invest greatly to keep up with the developments in technology and new areas of study.  Universities abroad aim to present students with upgraded skillsets paired with a practical curriculum to make students industry-ready. 

Aspiring students who choose to enroll in study abroad programs are presented with a number of rights of employment as many look for opportunities to study and work simultaneously. As a student, before you start working during the semesters and terms, here are a few rights that you are entitled to –

In most countries, international students have the same rights and enjoy the same protections as their citizens. In turn, the students are expected to follow a code of conduct and a set of rules and regulations.

·         Work hours: 
Around the globe, at famous study abroad destinations to study in UK, Canada, the USA, and Australia, the best places to study abroad have different allowances for student employment. Generally, a student can work 20 hours a week during the study term and 40 hours during vacation. However, these parameters may differ either on the type of course or university. Students can clarify the same on the university website or consult with Edwise regarding the same. It is imperative that you strictly adhere to this allowance as you agree to these terms at the time of application for the student visa.

·         Pay
As a student, you are entitled to be compensated while employed at a certain organization. Students are usually paid minimum wage during their employment. The minimum wage differs from country to country. For example, a study in Australia, students are paid $13 -15 per hour, in the UK, students are £5-7 and in the US, $8-10, based on the job. Hence students should ensure they are being paid in the right price bracket as it is the law.

·         Taxes
As a student studying abroad, in some countries, you are required to pay tax on the money you have been compensated with. The amount to be paid in tax depends on how much you earn. Tax rules and laws differ among countries; hence students must pay close attention to the same. For instance, in Australia, you are required to register and get a Tax File Number (TFN) before starting work.  In the UK, students who work part-time during the course, do not need to pay tax. In Canada, tax is deducted or charged based on your type of employment and how much you earn.

·         Payslips
At most destinations abroad, students receive payslips, detailing the amount earned, time worked, etc. Payslips are usually given, either on the day of payment or a day later. Payslips are an important document and should be kept safely as proof of employment and income and are generally required to be presented on securing full-time employment following the course.


No comments:

Post a Comment