The decision to study overseas is a major one. Everyone wishes to excel in whatever one undertakes and thereby be successful in the future. While studying abroad, students should adopt the following habits in order to earn good grades and emerge victorious.
Take down notes and review the same
• Learning is a life long process and is limited not just to textbooks. Reading newspapers, novels, magazines or even articles on the internet enables one to understand things taking place all over the world as well as around us. This in turn can contribute to one’s knowledge.
• One should get into the habit of taking notes, be it during a lecture or even while reading something assigned to you.
• This helps students to understand the lesson better. Taking notes aids in absorbing key terms and ideas more efficiently.
• One should also review the notes after class in order to retain the information. Reviewing while the material is still fresh in your mind, enables one to learn the material taught that day, more effectively.
• In case one misses a lecture, one should ask one’s classmates for a refresher.
• One should get into the habit of rewriting lecture notes. This is one of the most clever methods of study one should practice. Rewriting will aid one in remembering the context better. On the other hand, restructuring the notes compels one to understand the lesson.
Organize the class materials
• One should avoid keeping a bulky bookbinder or even a backpack of all loose sheets.
• Instead, the student should very neatly organize his/her study materials- books, stationery, notes and handouts and put the same into different folders.
• This enables one to very easily find what one requires for each exam as well as keep one’s homework together which in turn, helps to avoid massive clutter. One should color-code as this helps to differ between the topics and keep different topics separately.
• Take some time out and make sure the folders are in order. Also, download the readings and slides for each lecture in advance. This helps save time.
Avoid any form of distraction during studies
• One can gain access to large amounts of information, thanks to Technology. However, this useful tool can in turn, create distractions and prevent one from focusing on one’s research.
• After acquiring the necessary information to write, one should keep one’s phone on silent and switch off the wireless connection.
• Social media platforms are used today by almost everyone. Communicating on the same or talking over the phone could sap away one’s time for a good 20–30 minutes.
• On the other hand, upon receiving a notification, one is bound to immediately open it. One may also be required to reply to the same. This could also result in time loss.
• One can get distracted very easily. In such scenarios, avoid using your phone. Keep it out of sight while studying.
• Prioritize your education. Your friends can wait.
• Distractions can lead to ineffective studying as one losses the train of thought and is unable to focus.
• Before you sit down to study, find a corner with little/ no background noise. This will prevent you from getting disturbed or distracted.
Build an effective study environment around yourself
• The next step after organizing your notes and required study material is to create a place of study, free from distractions be it your roommates or the television, a place where one can get motivated and concentrate better on one’s studies.
• This place could be on campus, in a cafe, at home or at the beach.
• At times, study sessions with classmates may benefit you.
• Prepare a timetable and spend extra time on independent study per subject even if you just have 12/15 ‘contact hours’ on campus.
• Try changing your study routine. If you rely only on textbook revision, consider switching this routine to creating visual resources viz. flash cards or mind apps.
For further assistance or queries students can contact us, Edwise International, and avail for our wide range of services for students on destinations like Universities in USA, study in USA, study in UK, study in Ireland, study in Canada, study in Australia, study in New-Zealand, study in Singapore and many other countries.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.